According to the CDC, over 30 million people are injured annually in an unintentional incident, also known as negligence, and over 2.5 million are injured in traffic collisions. An alarming 41,000 of these are fatal.With every new vehicle safety feature approved for production comes another new method of travel, such as ride share and micromobility – like scooters, motorized skateboards, and always-evolving bikes. The prevalence of auto-related accidents is not decreasing, its simply changing.
What To Do If You’ve Been Involved in an Traffic Collision
As common as auto accidents are, there is a massive void of information about what you should do when it happens. Here are a few highlights:
- ALWAYS collect information from the other person(s) involved, even if you think it was a small incident. That may change down the road and you want to be prepared.
- TAKE PHOTOS OF ALL VEHICLES INVOLVED.
- If you feel any pain at all, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. Many serious injuries are not readily apparent due to massive levels of adrenaline pulsing through the body. Make sure you take care of yourself by getting checked out no matter what.
- DO NOT SPEAK TO AN INSURANCE COMPANY about anything other than the damage to your property, INCLUDING YOUR OWN. The insurance company is already building a case against you from the minute the collision occurred. If you tell them your initial physical injuries and those injuries increase or change later, you have just given the insurance company a recorded statement they can use against you later.
- HIRE AN ATTORNEY. This may seem self-serving coming from a law firm. However, in reality, its you it serves the most. Just as the insurance company is already building a case against you, they are also collecting scene evidence, witness statements, videos, crash data and so on. You should have someone doing the same. These things quickly disappear, and you do not want to rely on the insurance company to turn over the evidence you need to fight them.
If you or a loved one are involved in a traffic collision, our team will take you through the process and protect your interests from the very beginning.
Our list of investigators and experts allows us to get the right one for your case on the ground and working for you immediately if necessary.
Our experience spans decades, and that has taught us how to best serve you, treating you like you are important… because you are.